Google
 

Tuesday, December 2, 2008

November 2008 summary

While the postings on this blog may not reflect it, November has been a rather busy month for me in terms of my music activities.

 

Amidst the financial crises around the world, and the subsequent tightening of belts by consumers, I have been out shopping. I have purchased the following albums and found them very enjoyable (I hope to provide more in-depth or detailed assessments soon):

 

The Felice Brothers – The Felice Brothers,

Robert Plant and Alison Krauss – Raising Sand,

Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago,

MGMT – Oracular Spectacular, and

Okkervil River – The Stand Ins.

 

I also got the chance to visit the excellent Roughtrade store in East London, and can report that they have a really cool shop there including, by today’s standards, a huge vinyl selection, as well quite a different categorization system for their CD’s. Check out their web-site here www.roughtrade.com where you can shop online. Also very cool there are the in-house compilation CD’s that they put together. These are great samplers of specific themes, or genres – normally 2 CD’s for about 11 GBP. You can also check out their top ten list for 2008.

 

Other exciting things about November have been the appearance of the new Kings of Leon album. I have not heard it yet, but love the single. As well as the great reviews of Metallica’s latest which , I am ashamed to admit, I have not yet heard either. Some members in my household are also wildly anticipating the release of the new FOB album. Then the biggest buzz around has got to be that Guns ‘n Roses have finally released their ‘Chinese Democracy’ album after 15 years in the making. I have heard snippets, and all I will say right now is that what I heard sounded ‘OK’.

 

In December, I will try to compile some lists such as my best purchases of 2008. Songs that I have most enjoyed in 2008 etc. If you have any best of 2008 music comments to make, please do not hesistate!

No comments: