Google
 

Tuesday, December 30, 2008

December 2008 update

In South Africa, quality radio programming is a problem. Maybe it’s because we live in such a culturally diverse country, but radio station wise, it is very difficult to tune into some good quality rock.

 

This does not always have to be a huge issue since I now have my Squeezebox ( see www.slimdevices.com) and can therefore tune into radio stations around the world via the internet at home. The huge issue relates to what to listen to when I am driving.

 

I have blogged before on the college radio station UJFM that can be picked up in the Johannesburg area, and they have been a bit of a life-saver in this regard. You cannot begin to describe my joy in turning on the radio at 6:45 a.m. on my way to work and hearing the new AC/DC, Kings of Leon, Killers or Metallica song. Sometimes even an old classic comes on that leaves me overjoyed. This radio station can really be a life-saver sometimes.

 

There are slots in their programming where it all goes horribly wrong for me. They do have times that they play more of the commercial type industry bubble-gum. They also have some DJ’s who are abysmal. Some of these guys cannot even pronounce the street names around Johannesburg when providing traffic updates. That kind of makes the whole point of a traffic update redundant.

 

But on the whole, this is still a great station to listen to when looking for some good rock music.

 

A few weeks ago I even entered a competition on a Sunday afternoon whereby I won the new Kings of Leon album – how cool is that? For the record, it is a very good album. I had my reservations about this album and that is why I had not already bought it, but it certainly holds up as a strong offering from a really talented band.

 

Other news for December is that most magazines on the web have got their ‘Best of 2008’ lists out. Have a browse on NME.com (there is even a blog on NME.com that tries to compile results from all over), rollingstone.com and popmatters.com for a view on what people are rating for the year. For a South African flavour check out www.isolation.tv for Lloyd Gedye’s best of 2008 summary. My favourite South African rock offering is the new one (EP only unfortunately) from Foto Na Dans. They are an incredible band doing very fresh stuff. In terms of my favourites for 2008, what is new to me may even actually be a couple of years old.

 

What I can commit to however, is that the greatest musical experience I had this year was seeing Muse live in Johannesburg! Truly truly incredible. I am not sure that I will ever get to see something like this in South Africa again.

 

In terms of albums, Bon Iver – For Emma, Forever Ago is my recommendation for 2008 in terms of what I have heard of all the offerings out there, which probably is not much.

 

The best music related DVD that I bought this year is Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers – Runnin’ Down a Dream by Peter Bogdanovich.

 

Albums that I listened to a lot this year regardless of when they were released are:

 

Rodriguez – ‘Cold Fact’,

Radiohead – ‘In Rainbows’,

Muse – ‘HAARP’,

AC/DC – ‘Black Ice’.

 

All in all I thought that 2008 has been a great year for music! Let’s see what 2009 has to offer….

4 comments:

Barry Eagar said...

Hey Ken! Thanks for the excellent posts. Good to see that you're keeping it up.

Anonymous said...

hello ^_^. greatt blog going on here! really awesome... I'm Mr Richard's student, yeaah ur brother =D we were talking about music & he told me about your blog. good music taste!.. =D
by the way, some really cool rock bands u don't write much about and should try listening to are : Breaking Benjamin,Linkin Park, Bullet for My Valentine, 30 Seconds to Mars, Staind, sometimes Nickleback, and some songs for KoRn,and sometimes System of A Down.. (you probably know those bands already, but just in case..and i just felt like mentioning it...) =D
anyways, great job keep it up! ^_^

KraKen said...

Thanks for the support people.

Dina - I do mention Breaking Benjamin in one of my earlier posts. Also last year I was lucky enough to see 30 Seconds to Mars and Korn playing live and mention that in a post too.

This year (2009) in April apparently Bullet for my Valentine are coming and I will definitely be there to check them out too (see www.mycokefest.co.za).

KraKen.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah..there were a lot of posts, sorry i guess i must have missed that& only saw the latest ones. yeah u really should check them out =)
& u're welcome!=D