Google
 

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Book: Mark Oliver Everett - Things the Grandchildren should know


I never intended this blog to include book reviews. I have read several Rock biographies and autobiographies, but a book review is something completely different to an album review. What I have decided to do is briefly mention a good Rock related book if I come across one.

 

This brings me to mentioning an excellent Rock related book that I have just finished reading.

 

Recently Amazon lured me into recommendations that were Eels related, and brought my attention to a book called ‘Things my grandchildren should know’ by Mark Oliver Everett. Usually this author goes by the shortened name of E and fronts the band called the Eels. This book is his first autobiography, published in 2008 and therefore pretty much current. It takes us through his childhood, teens and struggles in life and the music industry up to today, and all I can say is that things have been pretty tough so far.

 

The book is well written in very direct prose that uses the actual story to capture the reader, and not necessarily other more subtle literary devices. It works for me and as the cliché goes ‘I could not put it down’.

 

The over-riding message that I got out of it is that one must never give up. When other people are trying to guide you in certain directions - stick to your principles. Over and over again one hears tales of how the record label does not like the new album and wants certain changes made. This book describes several of these incidents and how E handled them. The music industry is really tough and it takes a lot of dogged determination to succeed. I think that that is an excellent message for young people starting out in the industry to understand.

 

Of course, the his struggles in the music industry are described against the backdrop of the terrible struggles E has faced throughout his personal life too. The message about perseverance and determination is even more important in this context. There is never the feeling that E is saying ‘don’t bother me with your problems as mine have been so much worse’, the inherent message is more that life can be challenging, and as an individual one should remain true to oneself if there is to be any hope of rising above it all.

 

This is a well written, thought provoking book. Everyone should read it as it helps to put life into perspective.

 

On another note, please take time to check out the Eels website. It is definitely one of the best I have ever seen, and also makes some rare recordings available.

 

http://www.eelstheband.com/

 

 

No comments: