Google
 

Monday, March 2, 2009

February update

Well February has come and gone. It was a busy month for me, and in fact an inordinate amount of time was spent trying to buy tickets for the CokeZero Festival scheduled in Johannesburg for the 10th of April.

 

In all honesty, I am not that enthused by the line-up, but generally this is the only chance that I get to see some international acts, so what can I do but go?

 

This time the international acts are Bullet for my Valentine, Panic at the Disco, Snow Patrol and, as head-liners, Oasis. Pretty slim pickings in my view, with only Oasis being of any real interest to me. Even then, I must admit that I have never really ‘got’ the hype around Oasis. I don’t own a single CD of theirs, and have listened to their singles on the radio with only a passing interest. My hope is that you have to see them ‘Live’ to really get them, therefore I am going along to the concert with an open mind.

 

As for the other international bands? Let’s wait and see on the day.

 

Why, though, did I spend an inordinately long time in buying tickets? Firstly, the ticket vendor’s (computicket) web-site refused to accept my credit card (I don’t have a problem like this on most other web-sites). That meant that I had to go to a Computicket to buy a ticket. Finding one proved difficult, apparently they are all hosted inside Checkers super-markets now. Therefore I had to find a Checkers that I felt safe going to. This was easier said than done. Eventually I found one less sleazy than all the rest and went inside. The ticket vending part triples up as the cigarette booth and also something to do with paying utility bills as well as something about Telkom. The one I went to had three unmarked queues and of course I stood in the wrong two first. But now I have the tickets and I am ready for the festival. To add insult to injury, I found out this week that they are now offering discounts on tickets based on volume. I bought three at the time and paid the full price…..

 

What seem most attractive to me are the local acts. There the line-up is looking strong. We will be treated to Dirty Skirts, Foto na Dans and Zebra & Giraffe among others. These are bands that I truly want to see. I can’t wait.

No comments: